3M reveals its take on top trends in science, technology and design via 3M Futures – 3M News Center
3M reveals the take on top trends in science, technology and design via 3M Futures
– 3M introduces new platform called 3M Futures which explores five cutting-edge technology and technologies trends impacting the world today — plus their implications for tomorrow.
– 3M scientists, engineers, designers and experts share and explore key topics within each trend, offering their unique perspectives and commentary.
– 3M releases Futures Survey: A global survey conducted across 11 countries, the study explores perceptions and expectations of science and technological innovation — and how individuals view its impact in their lives.
ST . PAUL, Minn. , Feb. 17, 2022 / PRNewswire or — 3M is launching 3M Futures , a new system showcasing 5 global technology and technology trends shaping the entire world today — plus the future of tomorrow. The platform explores every topic alongside commentary and perspectives from 3M experts, scientists, technicians and designers at the forefront of their fields. 3M Futures also features data through global, third-party research conducted across 11 countries to understand awareness of these top science, technology plus design styles.
The 3M Futures topics for 2022 are:
- Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR): Mixed reality is already changing the way we live, work and entertain — the metaverse is poised to change our perceptions of reality.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): How artificial intelligence and machine learning are usually revolutionizing everything from entertainment to business but require conversations about broader ramifications and ethics.
- Sustainable Materials: The particular circular economy is introducing innovation within material technology and style while disrupting industry, ushering in a more sustainable future.
- The New Paradigm — A Pandemic Aware World: The pandemic has created the paradigm shift in exactly how we interact. From telemedicine and health-conscious design in order to remote work, the new abnormal is here to stay.
- Equity — Through Science plus Technology: The greatest innovation comes from diverse thinkers. Equity, representation and equal access to science and technology learning, like minority representation plus STEM in youth, are paramount in order to solving the challenges associated with today — and down the road.
“Every day, 3Mers around the particular world are usually unlocking the next phase of what’s possible and exploring the latest trends in science plus technology, ” says Kevin Gilboe , head of 3M Design, International. inch 3M Futures is a great opportunity with regard to us to showcase the broad ways 3M will be helping to shape the future — developing, designing and engineering cutting-edge solutions within the most relevant global trends, while profiling the particular incredible talent across our own company who are experts within their fields. ”
The expert contributors chosen in order to participate include an array of 3M scientists, technical engineers, designers and other leaders at the forefront associated with their industries. From artificial intelligence to equity, each is passionate about their field and has a personal interest in broad applications of the particular relevant technologies and science.
3M Futures Survey
The particular 3M Futures Survey uncovers global perceptions of long term technologies, with results from eleven countries: Brazil , Canada , China , France , Germany , India , Japan , Mexico , UK, USA plus South Korea . The survey reveals what respondents believe upcoming innovation should focus on across the globe and the methods they have — or have not — directly interacted with the technologies referenced across the five core trends.
Key findings consist of:
- Science plus technology
Public health, humanitarian crises, extreme weather crises, a cure for Alzheimer’s and ecological disasters are seen as the best problems in order to focus upon over the next 5 years.
- Mainstream Virtual Reality
Digital reality is usually expected to be a normal part of the everyday life sooner than other advancements, especially in gaming and amusement.
- AI interest plus concerns
The particular survey results showed that while people are excited about AI, many are concerned about data privacy and want more transparency on how the technology is being used in society.
- Sustainability: top environmental threats
Respondents feel single-use plastics are a bigger threat in order to the environment than fossil fuels and fast fashion.
- Real life vs . tech.
In the shadow of the outbreak, tech-driven innovations are being met with some resistance as many are trying to decrease tech in their life and seek in-person socialization and hobbies.
Following its launch, 3M Futures will feature ongoing stories, VR demos and content throughout the year. Insights from the particular survey will inform exploration of future topics plus content.
To download full 3M Futures survey information, including by country and infographic breakdowns, visit: 3M Futures Resource Middle
3M Futures Survey Methodology
Global business intelligence company Morning Consult carried out research on behalf of 3M among an audience of n=22, 001 Adults ages 18-64 from the US, UNITED KINGDOM, Mexico , Brazil , Canada , Germany , France , China , India , Japan , and South Korea between November 17- Dec. 18, 2021 . The interviews were performed online, plus the data was balanced across gender, age, income, and region. Results from the study have a margin of error of +/- 1%.
At 3M (NYSE: MMM), we apply science within collaborative ways to improve lives daily as our employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to global challenges at www.3M.com or even on Twitter @3M or @3MNews .