3M Futures examines science, technology and design’s trailblazing trends – Manila Bulletin
3M has announced its latest project 3M Futures, a new platform showcasing five global science and technology styles shaping the world today—and the future of tomorrow. The platform explores each topic alongside commentary plus perspectives from 3M experts, scientists, engineers, and designers at the forefront of their fields. 3M Futures also features data through global, third-party research conducted across 11 countries to understand perceptions of these top science, technology, and design developments.
As science plus technological innovations continue to advance rapidly, 3M explores the top five worldwide trends for 2022:
- Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Fact (VR): Mixed reality is already changing the particular way we live, work and entertain—the metaverse is poised to change our awareness of reality.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): How artificial intelligence plus machine learning are revolutionizing everything from entertainment in order to business but require conversations about broader implications and ethics.
- Sustainable Materials: The circular economy is introducing innovation in material technology and design while disrupting industry, ushering in a more sustainable future.
- The particular New Paradigm—A Pandemic Aware World: The pandemic has created a paradigm shift in how all of us interact. From telemedicine plus health-conscious style to remote work, the new abnormal is here to stay.
- Equity—Through Science and Technology: The particular greatest innovation comes through diverse thinkers. Equity, representation and equal access to science and technologies learning, like minority portrayal and STEM in youth, are paramount to solving the challenges of both the present and the particular future.
“Every day, 3Mers around the world are unlocking the next phase of what’s possible and exploring the latest trends within science plus technology, ” said Kevin Gilboe, Head of 3M Design, International. “3M Futures is a great opportunity for us to showcase the broad ways 3M is helping to shape the future—developing, designing, and engineering cutting-edge solutions within the particular most relevant global trends, while profiling the incredible talent across our company who are specialists in their fields. ”
“3M will be committed to leveraging science and technology to innovate options that will address the world’s biggest difficulties, ” said Reggie Pulumbarit, Country Leader of 3M Philippines. “In a developing country like the Philippines, it is important that we create innovations that help improve lives, open up possibilities with regard to talent, plus address struggles in new ways. Through platforms such as 3M Futures, we hope to deepen our investment in making technology more relevant and engaging, as well as highlighting how science and technological innovations continue to impact daily life. ”
The expert contributors chosen to participate include an array of 3M scientists, technicians, designers and other leaders in the forefront of the industries. Through artificial intelligence to equity, each is passionate about their own fields and has a personal interest inside broad applications of technology and technology.
3M Futures Survey
The 3M Futures Survey uncovers global perceptions of future technologies, with results from eleven countries: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, UK, USA plus South Korea. The survey uncovers what respondents believe future development should focus on across the globe and the particular ways they have—or have not—directly interacted with the technologies referenced across the five core tendencies.
Key findings include:
- Science and technologies. Public health, humanitarian crises, extreme weather crises, a cure for Alzheimer’s and ecological disasters are seen as the top problems to focus on over the following 5 years.
- Mainstream Virtual Actuality. Virtual reality is usually expected in order to be a normal part of our own everyday lives sooner than other advancements, especially in gaming and entertainment.
- AI interest and concerns. The particular survey results showed that while people are excited about AI, many are concerned about data privacy plus want more transparency on how the technology is being used in society.
- Sustainability: top environmental threats. Respondents feel single-use plastics are a bigger threat to the environment than fossil fuels and fast fashion.
- Real life vs. tech. In the shadow of the pandemic, tech-driven innovations are being met with some resistance as many are trying in order to decrease technology in their life and seek in-person socialization plus hobbies.
3M Futures is now accessible online from all 3M locations, including the Philippines, through 3M. com/futures . Following the launch throughout all media platforms, 3M Futures will feature ongoing stories, VR demos and content throughout the year. Insights from the survey will certainly inform exploration of future topics and content.
To download full 3M Futures study data, which includes by country and infographic breakdowns, visit: https://futures.3m.com/resources
SIGN UP TO DAILY NEWSLETTER